Social icons







Say Hello to a New Era / Reflect on The Past. Welcome to my year-end survey. A very good idea I borrowed from Emma.



1. Where were you when 2015 began?
At Broken Tree Coffee, dancing and laughing with very good friends.

2. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Visited New York City. Got myself a job doing something I actually went to school for. Started paying my student debt. Moved to Chicago. Ate oysters. Oh! and I got married!

3. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made any because I generally don't follow them ... although I plan to make some for 2016!

4. Go to any concerts this year?
Oops. Does a DJ set by Toro Y Moi count?

5. Will you be looking for a new job in 2016?
Absolutely.

6. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2015?
Hmmmm, I think not. But what is a lot? Wine isn't alcohol, right?

7. Did you go on any vacations? If so, where?
New York, New York. Also, Phoenix.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Maybe I should say getting a full time job. To be honest, though it's (mostly) overcoming the anxiety that set in once I realized that a full time job isn't all that fulfilling. (Eventually, I discovered that that doesn't mean I can't still create awesome shit on the regular.)

9. If you could go back in time to any moment of 2015 and change something, what would it be?
Mmmm, there is no specific moment. Only a series of small decisions that led to a period of unnecessary depression and anxiety. I cannot pinpoint the moment I would like to change, only the mindset.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A really annoying sinus infection plagued me throughout the first two months of 2015. Sometimes homeopathic remedies are just temporary band-aids until you get your health insurance shit figured out and you can go to the doctor and have him prescribe you some damn antibiotics.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I believe I bought my Olympus OM-D EM-10 this year, and it is mighty fine.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
All I can think of is my nephew, who is not yet two years old and whose every movement is adorable and worthy of celebration.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Donald Trump, tbh.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Fooood, man. Chicago has, like, 4 billions restaurants and I would like to visit them all, thank you very much.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Um, visiting New York and, lately, deciding to move to Phoenix in 2016.

16. What song will always remind you of 2015?
Drake "Hotline Bling"

17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Haha, I want to say happier, but I think, after all of the emotion that happened in the middle of the year, here at the end I feel ... at equilibrium. Last year this time I was excited to find a job so I could move to a new city. Right now? I am excited to find a job so I can move to a different new city. I also am no longer planning a wedding. So that's a load off.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading and making art.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
“I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.”

Sylvia Plath

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Somehow I was able to spend a reasonable amount of time with 3 different families: my own and my in-laws. It was beautiful and nothing hurt.

22. Did you fall in love in 2015?
with ramen? Yes.

23. What was the biggest change for you in 2015?
Being married. Conquering public transit.

24. What were your favorite TV programmes?
Master of None, Mad Men, Scream Queens. I didn't watch a lot of TV this year. I'm tryna read more, okay?

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
no!

26. What was the best book you read?
Donna Tartt's The Secret History

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Beach Boys, tbh.

28. What did you want and get?
To move to Chicago.

29. What did you want and not get?
Peace. Of. Mind.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
If I’m being honest, probably Victoria, or Diary of a Teenage Girl.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24 in August. On that day? I do not remember, actually. But for that day we tripped to New York City, where I killed my first cockroach.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
less time with these things: anxiety, comparison
more time with these things: mindfulness, art

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Frantic. I vacillated between wanting to succumb to the instant gratification that comes with buying fast fashion —Zara, F21, H&M, Akira, ASOS, Mango, Aritzia, etc.—and catering to the whims of my fashion brain, which prefers to dress like these girls, frequenting thrift stores, consignment shops, and department store clearance racks.

34. What kept you sane?
Charles. And then, later, books.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
probably Drake tbh, and/or Oscar Isaac

36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Know yourself / know your worth
Drake "0 to 100"

37. Who did you miss?
No one, I don't think.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Ooops. I didn't really make any new friends this year :D

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.

tumblr_meu2pq4PdL1qcygw9o6_1280

40. What are your plans for 2016?
Deconstruct:Reconstruct

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Categories

Disqus for Okay Thanks Maria